Who doesn't need way more bling in their life!? In a world filled with mind numbing tasks and images, multiples of which need your attention at every given moment, it is the little gems of bling that stand out and make time slow down... at least long enough to smile. Bling is my favorite onomonopia... it's that tintinnabulation that grabs your focus in the otherwise bombarding chaos. It makes you stop and appreciate one thing amongst the many one things vying for your attention.... and I for one think the world would be a much saner place if we all armed ourselves with bling to help us smile in our otherwise persistent and unrelenting day. For the sake of minimizing the chaos of adding "bling up entire life" to your todo list, simply pick one thing to bling... just make it the most important thing. The one pervasive doohickey that is the Robin to your Batman... is your smartphone. For most of us, we spend a great deal of time each day interacting with it. So why wouldn't you want it to make you pause and smile with every use?
Here are 5 ways you can bling up your smart phone:
1) Nothing says bling like the sun... it is the uber bling. Sun power... Use it, own it, make it work for you. Did you know that you can use sun power to keep your phone charged and ready for you to use all day long? Solar chargers are efficient and effective tools that can be used anywhere the sun shines! Not to mention that they are a super cool lookin' way to accessorize... who doesn't want to look like the techno genius!! Get off the grid ... just because you are tethered to your phone doesn't mean you have to be tethered to an outlet to plug it into. So check "find place to plug in phone" off of your todo list for good and still keep your phone functioning optimally throughout your busy day... sun power people... Bling!!
2) Of course, if you are planning on being enchanted with your cell phone regardless of circumstance, it is best if it is dressed to impress. Phone cases are the easiest way to bling up a basic cellphone, making it distinguishable from a cellphone belonging to a muggle. I recommend grabbing a few different cellphone cases... often when we get used to seeing the same thing day after day, we stop noticing how fabulous it really is. Pick colors or styles that fit your common moods or that remind you of a mood you are trying to inspire!
3) Adding your own ringtones is another way to infuse your day with intermittent bling. And I don't mean just one ringtone that will make you happy for like a day until you are soooo over it. Change it up... make each call special. Pick the ten people that call you the most and give them each their own personalized ringtone. Include in that list people you enjoy hearing from and give them your favorite songs. Choose people you don't want to hear from and give them appropriately ominous introductions. Instead of being interrupted by a ringing phone over and over again, your day is now happily interspersed with song and laughter.
Here are a few unique ways to add personalized ringtones to your cellphone:
a) Make your own through your itunes account... here's a simple how to: http://mac.tutsplus.com/tutorials/media/quick-tip-create-ringtones-in-itunes-for-free/
b) Get ringtones professionally composed... that's right... there are now composers who write songs specifically designed to be ringtones:
c) Get super fancy... combine options a) and b). Go to fiverr and for only $5, get a ringtone professionally designed for you based on music you choose: http://fiverr.com/categories/music-audio/custom-ringtones/#layout=auto&jls_sca1218_1_auto=1&jls_sca1218_2_auto=1
You can also customize ringtones for each alert, such as text or email.
4) Everytime you grab your cell phone to check texts or mail or even the weather, the first thing you see is your homescreen. Make that tiny moment special every time by putting a personalized image on your homescreen. Pick a picture or image that brings you joy by reminding you of the finer things in life. Whether you are in the iPhone or the Android camp, you can change up your homescreen image as often as you like. Keep them rotating to remind you of all the incredible things the world has to offer.
Follow these simple "how to" instructions for either iPhone or Android:
a) iPhone: http://www.ehow.com/how_6039330_change-look-iphone-home-screen.html
b) Android: http://www.ehow.com/how_10069952_set-home-screen-android.html
5) So... your phone is feeling bling, looking bling, and sounding bling... puttin' a spring in your every step with very little effort. Cross "fully accessorize" off of your todo list. Now it's time to show it off. Don't just shove it in your purse or pocket... show some respect people!! Grab yourself a carrying case or a belt clip and wear it loud and proud. Regardless if you are out for a run or at the pool or working your tail off and needing your phone to be easily accessible, your phone can stand out, bringing a moment of happy pause not just to you, but to the people around you as well. Bling on!!